Sharing a recording of your screen is a great way to visually explain workflows, features, or to troubleshoot problems.
If you want to use a screen recording in your videoask or reply to a respondent with a screen share, you can do this directly within VideoAsk.
The default settings let you record yourself as well as your screen for an extra personal touch:
However, If you're feeling a little camera-shy, don't worry! You can easily remove your video and stick to showing your respondent the action on-screen.
Keep reading for a step-by-step guide!
Note: Screen sharing is only available in the web app. To share your screen on a mobile device, record your screen using the native screen recording app and upload the video file to VideoAsk.
Record your screen
Each time you record in VideoAsk, you have the option of selecting the video source. Recording your screen is one of these options, both when creating a new step and when replying to respondents.
1. When you create a new videoask or step to your videoask, click Screen Share.
If you want to send a screen share to a respondent, click Reply.
Then select Video.
Select Record Screen from the icons at the top of your screen.
2. Choose which screen you'd like to share.
To share your entire screen (including your desktop and all windows), click the Your Entire Screen tab and select which screen you'd like to share (if you have multiple screens).
You can also share a specific application window. Click the Window tab and select the application window you want to record.
Your third option is to record a specific browser tab (in this case, Chrome). Click the Chrome Tab tab and select which tab you want to record.
3. Whichever option you choose, click Share when you're ready to start recording your screen.
4. The default screen recording setting allows you to record yourself as well as your screen. If you don't want to record yourself while recording your screen, click the X on the video of yourself to remove it.
5. If you've selected to record a specific browser tab, look for the blue rectangles to indicate that you're sharing your screen.
6. Although you've started sharing your screen, you've not started recording. Switch to the VideoAsk tab or window and press the red button to start recording.
Note: While recording, the video of yourself won't be visible but it will display in the final video.
7. You'll receive a 3-second countdown before recording begins, similar to the process when recording with your webcam.
Note: This countdown and the timer for your recording will only be viewable in the VideoAsk tab or window, not the one you are screen sharing.
8. Make sure to switch to the right window or application while you're recording. You'll hear a 3-second countdown so you'll know when the recording starts.
When you want to end the video and screen share, click the Stop button or go back to the VideoAsk tab and click the red button.
9. Preview your screen share in VideoAsk. Click Yes if you’re happy with it, or No to give it another go and re-record.
That's it! Now your screen recording is ready to use in your videoask or be sent to your respondent.
Because it's usually important to see the entire screen of screen recordings, the Fit video option for these videos will be toggled on by default. If you'd prefer the video to be cropped, toggle the Fit video option off.
Give VideoAsk permission to record your screen
If you're using a Windows device, you shouldn't have to change any settings - the necessary permissions should be enabled by default.
If you're on an Apple device and are unable to share your screen after clicking the Record your screen icon, you might need to enable this option in the operating system settings on your computer.
Go to System Preferences and select Security & Privacy.
Scroll down and select Screen Recording.
Make sure you have given permissions to the browsers where you're using VideoAsk.
You may be prompted to quit the browser for the changes to take effect:
Back in business! Now, when you go back to VideoAsk you should be able to record your screen without issue!
If something still isn't working as expected, please get in touch with our Support team who will be happy to help by clicking the Videoask us button at the bottom of this page.